Powerful Representation


Huntsville Visitation Attorneys

15+ Years of Professional Experience to Advocate for Your Parental Rights

If a parent does not have physical custody of their children, they typically have the right to visitation with their children after a divorce. Certain circumstances might pose obstacles to a parent receiving visitation rights, particularly in situations where there is evidence that visitation would be detrimental the children’s safety. 

The Huntsville divorce attorneys at Rebekah L. Graham & Associates have been advocating for parents in the legal system for more than a decade. They take a client-oriented approach and will fight for the solution that best meets your goals and interests.

Discuss your visitation concerns in more detail with our firm in a initial consultation. Contact us online to schedule an appointment today.

Alabama’s Visitation Laws

In most situations, it is important that both parents be involved in their children's lives. When only one parent is awarded physical custody, the court will typically grant the other (noncustodial) parent visitation rights. 

Determining the Visitation Arrangement

The determination of a visitation schedule will depend on the circumstances of each case, with the children's best interests as the standard for the court’s decision. It is common for each county to have standard visitation schedules that are utilized by the judges within that county. However, parents frequently work together to create their own, customized, agreed upon visitation schedule that work best for their children. 

Protecting Your Child's Best Interests

At Rebekah L. Graham & Associates, we understand that child custody matters can be emotionally challenging and legally complex. Our team of experienced Huntsville child custody attorneys is dedicated to advocating for your parental rights and ensuring the best interests of your child are prioritized throughout the process.

When it comes to determining the visitation arrangement, we have a deep understanding of Alabama's visitation laws and will work diligently to achieve a fair and favorable outcome for you and your child.

Our practice areas include:

  • Child custody
  • Visitation rights
  • Modification of custody orders
  • Relocation cases
  • Enforcement of visitation orders

Whether you are seeking sole custody, joint custody, or need assistance with visitation matters, our skilled attorneys will provide you with personalized guidance and representation tailored to your unique situation.

Contact us today to schedule a consultation and let us help you navigate the complexities of child custody law.

Supervised Visitation

In rare situations, the court may require that a parent’s visitation with their children be supervised by a third party. Typically, this is happens when the court believes that the children’s safety would otherwise be compromised when visiting with a parent who has: 

  • a history of domestic violence;
  • a history of child abuse; 
  • an untreated alcohol or drug addiction; or,
  • a serious untreated mental health issue.

If the court allows unsupervised visitation given the above circumstances, there may be alternative restrictions, such as denying overnight visits, ordering a parent to abstain from alcohol or drug use before and during the visitation, alcohol and drug testing, or restrictions on the locations where visitation can take place.

Visitation can be a complex matter to resolve, as it includes a detailed schedule that the court must approve. Nonetheless, Rebekah L. Graham & Associates can help you prepare for negotiation, mediation, or litigation to settle your visitation disputes. The firm is deeply committed to protecting your right to a relationship with your children and protecting your children’s safety.

Let Rebekah L. Graham & Associates advocate for your parenting rights today. Schedule your consultation online to get started.

Commonly Asked Questions

What are Alabama’s Visitation Laws?

In most situations, it is important that both parents be involved in their children's lives. When only one parent is awarded physical custody, the court will typically grant the other (noncustodial) parent visitation rights. Depending on the circumstances of each case, with the children's best interests as the standard for the court’s decision, a visitation schedule may be determined by either a customized agreement between parents or by a standard county schedule.

What is supervised visitation?

In rare situations, when there is evidence that unsupervised visitation would be detrimental to their safety and welfare of children, a parent’s visits may need to be supervised by a third party. This might happen if there is evidence of domestic violence or child abuse in the home or if one parent has an untreated alcohol/drug addiction or mental health issue.

Is it possible to modify an existing visitation arrangement?

Yes. If changes are needed due to changed circumstances such as relocation of one parent or changes in work schedules, modifications can usually be made through negotiation and/or mediation with both parties agreeing on new terms.

How can an attorney help me with my child custody case?

An experienced attorney can provide invaluable assistance when navigating through legal proceedings related to child custody matters. An attorney can help you understand your rights and options under Alabama law as well as guide you through negotiations and mediation sessions so you get an outcome that best meets your goals.

Are there any restrictions on where visits take place?

The court may impose restrictions on where visitations take place depending upon factors such as safety concerns for both parents and children. In some cases overnight stays may not be allowed until certain conditions have been met such as undergoing alcohol/drug testing or attending counseling sessions.

  • “My case was handled with speed and great care.” - Micheal
  • “She was always prepared and efficient, and I felt that her advice and foresight protected me.” - Kimberly
  • “Rebekah did a great job in my mediation.” - Robert B.